The AmeriCorps Seniors program provides service opportunities for more than 245,000 Americans 55 and over to use their experience and wisdom to volunteer and make a difference to individuals, non-profits, and faith-based and other organizations in their communities. AmeriCorps Seniors connects volunteers with the people and organizations that need them the most via three national programs: Foster Grandparents, Senior Companions, and RSVP.
AmeriCorps Seniors programs operate in local communities in all 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, and the Virgin Islands. Here are some examples of how Senior Corps volunteers serve:
- Tutor and mentor students
- Provide one-on- one-time to students in busy classrooms
- Help students increase their reading levels
- Tutor students in math and writing skills
- Help elderly seniors stay independent and remain in their homes
- Drive individuals to doctor's appointments
- Provide a much-needed break to caregivers and families
- Provide friendship and companionship
- Help veterans find jobs
- Organize volunteers
- Rebuild after disasters
- Provide free tax services
- Tackle environmental issues.
For more information about AmeriCorps Seniors, please email firstname.lastname@example.org